Prev 4 of 6 Next
Interaction Design: FireEyesWebsite: Deque Systems FireEyes
About: FireEyes is a Firefox plug-in that runs with Firebug. FireEyes automates the process of checking a webpage for accessibility compliance and produces detailed and comprehensive report of any accessibility errors on the page.
Figure 1: Worldspace FireEyes Plugin
Role: Interaction designer and user researcher
- FireEyes plugin displays accessibility issues on a webpage. The plugin has to show several types of information and actions within a very limited space.
- The tool has to be accessible by vision-impaired users and users with other disabilities, using assitive technology.
- In-depth user analysis was required to understand the challenges faced by developers building accessible websites. In addition, detailed research on the various accessibility guidelines and their implication was conducted.
- The plugin was designed to work seamlessly with Firebug in helping developers identify and fix accessibility issues. A dashboard UI was built to help developers view, analyze and manage accessibility guideline violations in their webpages. It also allows users work collaboratively with other developers to fix them.
- Feature requirements and ideas were translated into interative protoypes for both the dashboard and the plugin.
- The tool was tested by users with visual impairment and web developers to ensure usability, accessibility, intuitiveness and clarity.
- Designs were implemented based on the outcome of the testing and product experts' inputs.
Figure 2: Worldspace FireEyes Dashboard